Australian Sports Entertainment

Saturday, January 22, 2011

The name's Bondi, Mr Bondi, by Rob Bates - The Wentworth Courier - 19th January 2011

Personal trainer Anthony Marich insists he won the inaugural Mr Bondi competition last Saturday despite his quintessentially Bondi appearance and not because of it.

“They weren’t looking for someone like me, I honestly believe that,” Mr Marich said. “I’m a personal trainer, I’ve got a little bit of muscle and long blonde hair and I think it really worked against me because I was too much of a cliche.”

The final round of the competition, which organisers said was “not just about the sixpack” and searched for “deeper qualities”, was held at Bondi FM Cafe Bar with the final 12 contestants subjected to a speed-dating-style interview session.

“I guess they were looking for genuineness, truthfulness, honesty - all the stuff that’s getting lost,” he said.

Defeating runner-up Mike Goldman for the title and bragging rights, Mr Marich also walked away with $8000 in prizes, $3000 of which he said would help turn his garage into a personal training gym. (Credit: The Wentworth Courier)